09 March 2007

Italia & Morocco...Two weeks and 4 days!


Well.

It is hard to believe, but we leave for Roma in two and a half weeks. We will spend our first night there in Rome, and then the next day we fly down to Casablanca, Morocco...it will be a long day of travel, because we will then need to take a train to Marrakesh where we will spend three weeks of our outreach! It has been exciting to learn more about the cultures that we will be stepping into...we have a girl that used to be on staff in YWAM Spain who is coming to give us an orientation on Moroccan culture!



We've also been learning some language skills (just the basics) for Arabic, Italian and French (because French is spoken all over Morocco)...For me, it has been really excited to learn more about Italian culture, as that has been on my heart for many years and always a dream of mine. It's easy to look at Italy as a wonderful and beautiful tourist spot, which it is, but there is much need and deeper things going on there. We've learned that evangelical Christians comprise only 1 % of the population of Italy. The Roman Catholic Church has lost over nine million members in this generation...and many Italians are growing to ignore and despise the church...my heart breaks...that so many "know" of God, but He's only been a distant and traditional God, not a real, personal, loving Father. Growing up "in the church", I feel as if I can relate a bit to that feeling...of being told who God is, but needing to come to a point where I discovered Him for myself. I know that our team will bring real stories and experiences, as we each have them, of God being real and relevant to us...He is not something that we've just been told about or taught...He is SOMEONE who has changed us and loved us in real and tangible ways. I pray that these beautiful Italians would be able to discover God for themselves. Pray for us that we have the courage and strength to share our stories as we are there.




Here is a picture of me and my friend Tia...we went to our friend Lynn's wedding this past weekend!
This is me and Stephanie, one of the our students!
This weekend, me and my friend Liz Dilley are going to Napa for a night to relax! She is such a wonderful friend, as she is wanting to pay for the car, as she knows I am trying to raise money for outreach still...I am excited for a weekend to relax in the beauty of nature and being alone! God provides, not just money, but time and rest when we need it most.

1 comment:

Virginia said...

It's going to be an amazing journey... all of it. It will change and enchant you. I cannot wait to hear about it and wish I could join you. I cannot wait to hear about it and share the love for the regions and the hopes for real, authentic interactions with the peoples of the area as I do in our own postmodern city. I love you.