24 March 2008

Trafficking in persons.

I do apologize for my terrible lack of updates. I have been back in San Francisco (after two amazing months in Asia) for almost two months now!

What's next? This weekend I am taking a course on how to teach English as a Second Language. One of my goals for this is so that I can teach the immigrants in our neighborhood here in SF English and cultivate relationships with them! Another goal is for the future...to someday be able to offer a piece of the restoration process for women that have escaped a situation of being trafficked.

Which leads me to the thoughts that I've had fairly consistently for the last two months (in all reality, for the last two years)...over 90 "massage parlors" in my city, dozens of them in my neighborhood. Women from all over the world who are sent from their financially struggling nations to live a life of slavery and abuse. Who are these girls? How did they get here? What kind of hell are they going through? What are their options?

My thoughts keep going to the story of Joseph, who was trafficked in his lifetime. Sold because of the hatred and jealousy of his brothers, God showed him favor in his time of slavery. That I believe is also God's heart for all trafficking victims. And He has put it on my heart to express that desire of His, to bring freedom, restoration and healing to these women.

It seems like an overwhelming and complicated process as I've been doing research, but at the same time, God has continually given me fresh hope and ideas are slowly formulating! Pray for both Jason and I as we pray about this and look at the possibilities of our long-term involvement.

In October, Jason and I will be married. It's hard to believe?? Time is flying. Wedding planning is crazy, but I'm actually really enjoying it.

This is all for now. I have more for later.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are great! I am excited to see where you and Jason go with all this. Just thought i'd let you know that I read your blog:)

Virginia said...

I am amazed at all that is unfolding in this whole realm and how you are being equipped to lead into new frontiers and team with others (hopefully us, too) as "it takes a village". I am really looking forward to tomorrow night. It will be GOOD.